During the last few years, Harry Davis Industries has been too constrained by the high cost of capital to make many capital investments. Recently, though, capital costs have been declining, and the company has decided to look seriously at a major expansion program proposed by the marketing department. Mary Simpson who is an assistant to Leigh Jones, the financial vice president is asked to estimate Harry Davis’s cost of capital. Jones provides Simpson with the following data.
1. The firm’s tax rate is 40%.
2. The firm has 10% annual coupon bonds with 15 years remaining to maturity. The current price of the bond is $1, 096.26. The bond’s yield-to-maturity is 8.82%.
3. The firm’s balance sheet shows $100 million long-term debt and $300 million common equity.
Simpson estimates the market risk premium as the historical average return on stocks minus the current return on Treasury bonds and obtains a 15.4% of the cost of common stock based on the CAPM.
Simpson calculates the firm’s weighted average cost of capital (WACC) as follows:
Weight of long-term debt is .25 (=100/400)
Weight of common equity is .75 (=300/400)
WACC = .25 x 10% x (1 – .4) + .75 x 15.4% = 13.05%
1. Find problems inherent in Simpson’s WACC calculation.
2. What can you suggest to solve problems found in Question 1?
3. Simpson used the CAPM to estimate the cost of common stock. What can you propose to get the best estimate for the cost of common stock?
4. How confident can you be with the WACC based on the solutions you suggested through the evaluative process in terms of the firm’s divisions and projects? What issues should be considered?
Answer & Explanation
Solved by an expert writer
Looking for a similar assignment? We have done this question before, We can also do it for you. Get 100% original papers written from Scratch. Order Now.
I hope I can get this same writer to complete the rough draft and final powerpoint as soon as the teacher posts her instructions. This part was great! Thank you so much.
This is exactly what I needed and the confidence that I am heading in the right direction to finish the assignment. Thank you so much.